- Baby Food Recall List : Baby and Toddler Food Recalls - September 29, 2022
- Dr. Brown vs Avent Bottles : Which is Better? - May 26, 2022
- Snuggle Me vs DockaTot : Which is Better? - May 26, 2022
Being a parent is never easy since from the very beginning you will have to care about whether your baby is fed enough, how to treat baby diaper rash and sensitive skin, which baby detergents to use, which moisturizer and baby wash cleansers to use when bathing your little one, which baby hair gel products to use later on, and so on…Basically, the worries never stop, but that’s what parents are supposed to do.
Since babies have zero words available to them to be able to tell you what’s wrong or explain any discomfort, you’re often left figuring it out yourself. But for a lot of things, like dirty diapers or dry skin, for example, you can usually anticipate those needs.
There are few things more uncomfortable than chapped skin or dry skin that itches like crazy and with babies, it’s the same way. They might not be able to tell you that their thighs feel like someone rubbed them with some itching powder, but dry skin can lead to all kinds of discomfort which is why there are many reasons why newborn baby skin care should be something you study well before you experience a fussy baby due to skin conditions.
This is why you’d do well to try out at least one of these seven best baby lotions in order to get rid of sensitive skin and rashes in the delicate matter. In some cases, your baby might not respond well to the particular formula of one or more, and maybe his or her dry skin will remain not moisturized, but you’re bound to find something here that will work for your little one to not only treat but help prevent more dry skin in their future.
Using baby lotion on a regular basis won’t do something as drastic as curing or preventing rough eczema. However, for babies with a penchant for getting dry skin more often than not, finding the right newborn baby skin care lotion is a critical reason to start looking out for the best baby lotions out there.
When it’s cold outside, sensitive skin on babies can be susceptible to drying skin because of the cold, dry weather or heating indoors which is why you always have to be sure that they are having the best care since they will need their skin to be breathing. Another great way to do when your little one is having sensitive skin and eczema, in particular, is to take off their diaper off in order to allow the baby’s skin to breathe.
When it’s warmer outside, your baby can still fall victim to dry skin because of indoor air conditioning, pool water, and of course the sun. Really, it’s best to use baby lotion for your little one year-round, so to really get the most out of whatever lotion works best for your baby, it’s best to start with it as soon as possible and make a habit out of it, since wet diapers can really cause trouble on their sensitive skin.
- 1 1. Aveeno Baby Daily Moisture Fragrance Free Lotion
- 2 2. Cetaphil Baby Daily Lotion
- 3 3. Johnson’s Bedtime Baby Lotion
- 4 4. Puracy Organic Baby Lotion
- 5 5. Babyganics Daily Fragrance Free Baby Lotion
- 6 6. Baby Dove Fragrance Free Lotion
- 7 7. Dr. Bronner Balm Baby Unscented Lotion
- 8 FAQ’s About Baby Lotions
1. Aveeno Baby Daily Moisture Fragrance Free Lotion
Aveeno is known for making all kinds of skincare products including cream and lotion-based products to help moisturize and protect from the sun, so it’s no big shocker that they also have the Aveeno Baby Daily Moisture Fragrance Free Lotion.
Designed specifically for the soft, smooth, and sensitive skin of babies, the Aveeno baby lotion is made without any added fragrances that some babies might develop allergic reactions to. It also doesn’t have any drying alcohol added, which can sometimes dry out the skin and clog pores rather than keep skin smooth and soft.
Instead, it’s made to keep skin feeling soft and moisturized for a full 24 hours following application which is one of the reasons why it’s perfect for sensitive children and in treating baby eczema. You can get it in an eight, 12, or 18-ounce bottle and you won’t have to worry about a strong scent or overly oily feeling afterward.
- Special Ingredients: Its active ingredient is Active Naturals Colloidal Oatmeal, which is added in to help lock in moisture and prevent your baby’s skin from drying out.
- Where To Buy: You can find the Aveeno baby lotion on Amazon or in-store at Target and Walmart.
- The Best Part: In addition to soothing dry skin, the lotion can also help treat most mild rashes or skin irritations especially for boys.
- The Not So Great: The texture isn’t thin and oily, but it is a lot thicker than you might imagine for regular baby lotion. And the cream also consists of xanthan gum, glyceryl stearate, and isopropyl palmitate which is an ingredient that causes acne and clogged pores.
2. Cetaphil Baby Daily Lotion
Wet diapers can cause skin irritation due to the bacteria in the urine, so keeping your baby’s skin clean and using a cream that will soothe their skin is totally a must. Usually, it’s okay to use talc powder, however, since sometimes is not enough, you will have to use a moisturizing cream that is talc-free.
One of the most important things about the Cetaphil Baby Daily Lotion is the fact that it’s one of the most highly recommended baby lotions by pediatricians and dermatologists.
Since it’s free from parabens, colorants, and mineral oils, that also means that it’s safe and gentle enough to use on both the face and body. This means that you can treat and help prevent dryness on your baby’s little legs, arms, and belly, but also his or her face.
Especially in the colder months when the cold air causes more dryness in the face, the Cetaphil could really come in handy. The scent is also minded enough to help your baby keep that naturally fresh baby smell while acting fast and thoroughly with just a little bit at a time.
- Special Ingredients: To help keep your baby’s skin soft and smooth while also soothing it, the motion contains sweet almond oil, sunflower oil, and organic calendula extract.
- Where To Buy: You can find it on Amazon or in-store at Walgreens and Target.
- The Best Part: It lathers well and rubs on smoothly to work into your baby’s skin easily and quickly.
- The Not So Great: It does have a distinct smell that some might enjoy, but others might find too strong.
3. Johnson’s Bedtime Baby Lotion
The ever-growing Johnson & Johnson brand has plenty of different options for cleaning and moisturizing boys and girls’ skin, but the Johnson’s Bedtime Baby Lotion in specific might be one of the best options since it’s perfect for soothing your baby in time for a sound sleep.
The secret is its unique and nice blend of NaturalCalm essences and pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxy-hydro cinnamate, which is a unique blend of aromas meant to soothe and calm your baby before bedtime. But it’s also hypoallergenic and approved by dermatologists to gentle work on your baby’s skin and leave it feeling smooth each time.
Of course, it helps that the lotion is designed for bedtime use to add to your baby’s nightly routine, but the fact that it also helps treat and prevent dry skin is as important.
- Special Ingredients: It’s made with a unique blend of NaturalCalm aromas to help soothe your baby during and after each use.
- Where To Buy: You can find it on Amazon or in-store at Walmart and Walgreens.
- The Best Part: It will help your baby feel calm and relaxed for bed while also treating their dry or irritated skin.
- The Not So Great: Since it is scented, there’s a chance your baby’s skin might not react well to the lotion.
4. Puracy Organic Baby Lotion
While lotion doesn’t have to be organic or specially formulated to work properly, it certainly doesn’t hurt, especially when it comes to baby lotion. In this case, it would be the Puracy Organic Baby Lotion which is made with enriched Vitamin E to help moisturize and work deep into your baby’s skin without leaving behind any greasy residue.
It also has a calming effect thanks to the added lavender and pink grapefruit essential oils. What is doesn’t have are parabens, dyes, formaldehyde, silicone, or nut-based ingredients, which should give you absolute peace of mind. It’s mostly plant-based to provide your baby the best overall moisture.
- Special Ingredients: Some of the more essential ingredients in the lotion are organic aloe vera, sunflower oil, jojoba oil, shea butter, and vegetable glycerin.
- Where To Buy: You can purchase the lotion from the manufacturer’s website and Amazon or in-store at Walmart.
- The Best Part: Using just a little bit will go a long way and keep skin moisturized throughout the day or night.
- The Not So Great: The natural scent might be too strong for some parents or even babies to deal with all day long.
5. Babyganics Daily Fragrance Free Baby Lotion
The non-allergenic Babyganics Daily Fragrance-Free Baby Lotion is made with plant-based ingredients to give your baby the most gentle moisturizer possible. Since the ingredients are natural, there is a lot less of a chance of your baby breaking out or otherwise negatively reacting to the lotion once you apply it to their skin.
Babyganics seems to understand that above all else, it’s important to cater to the sensitivity and general softness of baby skin, so where the lotion is concerned, the formula is gentle enough to go on smoothly and work into your baby’s skin without making it feel oily or further drying it out. It’s also especially useful that the lotion is fragrance-free since scented lotions can make them irritants as well.
- Special Ingredients: Some of the more notable ingredients for the lotion include organic theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, organic shea butter, and organic avocado oil.
- Where To Buy: You can purchase the lotion on Amazon or in-store at Walgreens.
- The Best Part: It’s lightweight and therefore gentle enough to rub onto the most sensitive or irritated skin.
- The Not So Great: The lotion comes in a pump bottle, and over time, the pump itself might stop working, which can make it a hassle to twist open the top and pull the pump out for each use.
6. Baby Dove Fragrance Free Lotion
Dove’s newer sub-brand of Baby Dove products is meant to cater to your baby’s cleaning and moisturizing needs and the Baby Dove Fragrance-Free Lotion is designed to be gentle but effective enough for your baby’s sensitive skin. It’s made to start soothing and treating dry skin on contact within the first use and continue to do so for 24 hours following each use.
There are no parabens, dyes, or phthalates and since it’s a fragrance-free lotion, you don’t have to worry about other additives that could potentially create an adverse reaction from your baby’s skin. It’s also gentle enough for you to use on your baby every single day without drying out his or her skin, which is another big plus since the whole point is to treat your baby’s uncomfortable and itchy dry skin.
- Special Ingredients: There are no special additives in the lotion, but it does not come with any harmful dyes, alcohol, or other ingredients that typically dry out skin.
- Where To Buy: You can find it on Amazon or in-store at Walmart and Target.
- The Best Part: Right away, you’ll notice and feel the difference in your baby’s skin after using the lotion.
- The Not So Great: After applying it to your baby’s skin, you might have to wait a minute or two while it sets in and dries.
7. Dr. Bronner Balm Baby Unscented Lotion
The Dr. Bronner Balm Baby Unscented Lotion comes in a smaller container that you simply dip your fingers into, but that’s simply because a little bit really does go a long way with this particular baby lotion. The balm baby lotion is made with a healthy and soothing blend of natural ingredients, and it is specially designed to help soothe and treat dry or chapped skin on your baby.
And since you only need a little bit to cover most of your baby’s body, it can potentially last you quite a while. The baby body balm requires just a little bit to cover any affected area, including diaper rash, and it’s compact enough to take it with you on the go quickly.
- Special Ingredients: The lotion is made with a blend of organic coconut, organic beeswax, organic avocado oil, organic hemp oil, and natural jojoba oil.
- Where To Buy: You can find the lotion on both the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon.
- The Best Part: You can toss the small container in your purse or diaper bag to take with you anywhere, just in case your baby needs more while you’re away from home.
- The Not So Great: For some parents, it might be difficult to get enough of the lotion/balm out of the container.
FAQ’s About Baby Lotions
Yes, you can use baby lotion on your baby’s face and areas where the skin is damp since these creams will moisturize the baby’s skin and especially soothe it when there is eczema or skin rash.
If your baby has dry skin and you are having a second thought of whether to use powder or lotion, you should always go with a moisturizing lotion that you will apply on the dry parts of your baby’s skin, especially in the parts where the diaper stretches.
Since babies have delicate skin, there are some ingredients that can cause rash, dry skin and other skin-related issues, so here are some of the most common and familiar to most parents to avoid:
– DMDM hydantoin
– Pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate
– Isopropyl palmitate
– Xanthan gum
Once you finally include a lotion in your newborn baby’s skincare on a regular basis, it can do wonders for keeping their soft and sensitive skin smooth and itch-free. And while it might be tempting to choose a lotion in specific that has an unmistakable soft baby powder scent to keep your baby’s skin smelling as such, it’s not necessary, especially for little ones.
It can also help prevent chapped skin, which is even worse than simply dry skin. While there’s no surefire guarantee that one of these 7 best baby lotions will be the perfect match for your baby, there’s still a good chance that at least one of them will work well enough to keep your baby’s skin soft and supple and free from some of the blemishes that infants are far too young to be dealing with.