Settling on a baby carrier is hard enough without also trying to select the best baby carriers for summer. With the longer days and abundance of sunshine comes warmer temperatures and more time spent outdoors.
These are all good things of course, especially for helping your baby get some fresh air, but when you want to wear your baby against your body, things can get hot rather quickly. Luckily, these are seven of the best baby carriers for summertime that are all designed to help keep you and your little one cool in some way or another.
There are plenty of different kinds of carriers, and whether you prefer a solid and well-formed carrier or a carrier in the style of a sling, there will be something that’s breathable enough to wear on even the warmest summer days. There are cotton options as well as other carriers made with unique cool mesh materials, so depending on what you prefer, there is a carrier for nearly everyone.
Of course, you still might get hotter than usual, and your baby’s body against your may still cause you both to get warmer faster, but with the help of one of these carriers, you can at least minimize the chance of overheating while out in the sun.
- 1 1. Lillebaby Complete AirFlow
- 2 2. Beco Gemini Cool
- 3 3. Moby Wrap Evolution
- 4 4. Hatched Soft Breathable Natural Cotton Baby Sling Wrap Carrier
- 5 5. Baby K’tan Original Baby Carrier
- 6 6. Ergobaby Adapt Cool Air Mesh Breathable Ergonomic Multi-Position Baby Carrier
- 7 7. MiaMily Hipster Plus Baby Carrier
1. Lillebaby Complete AirFlow
For the most part, it can be difficult to find the right kind of baby carrier that isn’t a wrap but also provides enough airflow to feel comfortable when wearing it during any season. The Lillebaby Complete AirFlow does its best to achieve that with its 3D mesh material meant to allow plenty of breath abilities and even a mesh-lined wide waistband.
This not only makes it easier to take some of the load off your back and shoulders, but it also helps keep you more relaxed when carrying your growing baby in the carrier against your body. And with this particular carrier, you have six different possible positions, including fetal, infant, facing out, toddler, hip, and back.
- Style: It’s a 6-in-1 carrier that offers multiple positions and a sturdy formed frame rather than a wrap or sling.
- Material: The carrier is made with a cool mesh material.
- Child Weight Capacity: You can use it for your baby and toddler, from 7-45 pounds.
- Where To Buy: You can purchase the carrier on the manufacturer’s website and Amazon or in-store at Target and Buy Buy Baby.
- The Best Part: With all of the different positions, you can continue to enjoy the carrier as your child grows, even if other carriers might be too hot for larger or older babies.
- The Not So Great: For more petite parents, the carrier might not fit as comfortably or adequately.
Safe for baby’s hips and acknowledged as a HIP HEALTHY carrier by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute.
2. Beco Gemini Cool
The Beco Gemini Cool carrier is also made specifically for keeping you and your little one cool with an entire wall of 3D cool mesh. This allows for more airflow than your standard baby carrier and will typically help keep both you and your baby from overheating, which is really the most important aspect of the best baby carrier for summertime.
It also offers four different carrying positions — front carry facing in, out, hip, and back carry — and requires no infant insert, as some other baby carriers might. You’ll also get the ergonomic M-shape for your child, which is the healthiest seating position for proper hip development, and the thick waistband will help keep you comfortable as well.
- Style: The carrier is one that buckles around your body securely and has a variety of possible positions.
- Material: It’s primarily made from a cool mesh meant to keep both you and your little one comfortable in warmer weather.
- Child Weight Capacity: The carrier can be used for infants and toddlers from 7-35 pounds.
- Where To Buy: It’s available on the manufacturer’s website and Amazon or in-store at Target.
- The Best Part: The size is adjustable, so parents and caregivers alike can more than likely share the carrier for your little one.
- The Not So Great: Getting all of the buckles unbuckled when you’re ready to take off the carrier can be a hassle, especially if you don’t have anyone nearby to help you.
3. Moby Wrap Evolution
One of the best parts about a good baby wrap is that while holding your baby securing, it also enables you to cuddle them close in the process. Of course, this could also lead to overheating for both of you in the warmer months which is where the Moby Wrap Evolution comes in.
It’s made from 30% cotton and 70% viscose, the latter of which is designed to be a more breathable and lightweight summer fabric. The wrap also allows for enough stretch to make it as comfortable and snug as possible for your growing baby so you can get as much use out of it as possible.
For the most part, you can use the wrap in either front or hip carrying positions, and in both instances, the cover allows your baby’s weight to be evenly distributed so as not to put any added pressure on your back or shoulders.
- Style: The Moby Wrap Evolution is a wrap style of baby carrier, as opposed to sling or carrier with straps and buckles.
- Material: It’s made from 30% cotton and 70% viscose.
- Child Weight Capacity: You can use the carrier for babies from 8-35 pounds.
- Where To Buy: The wrap is available on the manufacturer’s website and Amazon or in-store at Bed Bath & Beyond.
- The Best Part: Since there is a right amount of stretch to the fabric, you can likely successfully fit it around your body, and even your partner’s so they too can use the wrap.
- The Not So Great: Some parents might not love the fact that there are just two different carrying positions.
4. Hatched Soft Breathable Natural Cotton Baby Sling Wrap Carrier
The Hatched Soft Breathable Natural Cotton Baby Sling Wrap Carrier is another wrap that’s meant to be comfortable and breathable enough for the summer months, while also providing the right kind of support for your little one while they’re safely wrapped against your body.
Since it’s made from 95% cotton, you can be sure that it will feel soft enough on your skin as well as your baby’s while also keeping you both from getting too warm while using it. With no complicated buckles or straps, you can secure the wrap on your body with relative ease and won’t need outside help to get it on or off each time.
- Style: The carrier is a wrap style with no buckles, straps, or complicated buttons involved.
- Material: It’s made from 95% cotton and 5% spandex for both comfort and airflow.
- Child Weight Capacity: You can use the wrap for your child from newborn-35 pounds.
- Where To Buy: Right now, it’s primarily available on Amazon.
- The Best Part: Since it’s breathable and allows for a lot of airflows, the wrap is also lightweight, which makes it more comfortable than some other similar covers.
- The Not So Great: There is some give to the fabric, but possibly not as much stretch as some parents would prefer.
5. Baby K’tan Original Baby Carrier
As far as wraps go, the Baby K’tan Original Baby Carrier is as simple as you can get, especially since there’s no actual wrapping involved. Instead, you just need to slip it on over your head and properly fit your baby into it against your body.
It’s made from a 100% cotton material that feels more like a T-shirt than a baby carrier. You can also wear your baby five different ways, switching between each one without even taking the carrier off.
Regardless of which position you go with, the carrier is also designed to keep your baby in a comfortable and hip-healthy position. Since there’s an easy-to-adjust loop in the back, you can even share the carrier with different caregivers or with your partner, though it does come in specific sizes, from extra small to extra large.
- Style: The Baby K’tan Original is a wrap style that doesn’t even have any complicated strips of fabric to figure out how to tie, fold, and wrap.
- Material: It’s made from 100% cotton with a T-shirt feel to it.
- Child Weight Capacity: You can use the carrier for babies from birth-35 pounds.
- Where To Buy: You can purchase the carrier on the manufacturer’s website and Amazon or in-store at Target and Walmart.
- The Best Part: You can find the specific size that works for you to get the perfect fit.
- The Not So Great: For larger babies, the carrier can dig into their legs, which can make it uncomfortable for long periods of use.
6. Ergobaby Adapt Cool Air Mesh Breathable Ergonomic Multi-Position Baby Carrier
The name says it all, but the Ergobaby Adapt Cool Air Mesh Breathable Ergonomic Multi-Position Baby Carrier really does work as a summertime carrier for your baby or toddler.
In fact, your baby can get used out of it for literal years, especially since the fabric is designed to keep you both cool even when wearing it for long periods of time during the summer months.
Almost the entire carrier is made from a cool and breathable mesh material, and there’s even added lumbar support so you too can be comfortable while wearing the carrier. As your baby grows, you can use it as a front carrier facing in, back carrier, or on your hip, depending on your child’s size and preference.
- Style: Instead of being a wrap or sling carrier, the Ergobaby Adapt is a stiffer kind of carrier with buckles and straps.
- Material: It’s made from a lightweight mesh material for optimum airflow.
- Child Weight Capacity: You can use the carrier for babies from one week-48 month old.
- Where To Buy: It’s available on the manufacturer’s website and on Amazon or in-store at Buy Buy Baby.
- The Best Part: Even though it’s a still kind of carrier rather than a wrap, it’s lightweight and breathable enough to use when it’s warmer outside and take with you pretty much anywhere.
- The Not So Great: There is no option to use the carrier in the front forward facing position.
7. MiaMily Hipster Plus Baby Carrier
Part of the reason why the MiaMily Hipster Plus Baby Carrier is so airy and breathable for the summertime is the fact that other than the thick waistband and front fabric and straps, there are plenty of open spaces around the sides and back. There are also several different ways you can wear your baby with this particular carrier, including front facing in, front forward facing, back, and hip.
Plus, there’s a removable insert that you can take out to make even less padding and to keep your baby even cooler than the carrier will already allow for them. You’ll be able to use the carrier for your baby from three months-three years old or 40 pounds.
- Style: The MiaMily Hipster Plus is designed with a thick waistband and thick adjustable straps.
- Material: It’s made from a breathable mesh material to allow for ample airflow.
- Child Weight Capacity: You can use it for your child up to 40 pounds.
- Where To Buy: It’s available on the manufacturer’s website and Amazon or in-store at Target and Walmart.
- The Best Part: There are so many different ways to wear the carrier for your growing child that you’re bound to find one that works for them.
- The Not So Great: It can be challenging to take the carrier off on your own, especially while you try to take your baby out of it in the process.
Whether you prefer one of the carriers with multiple positions or a simple baby wrap carrier, you’re going to have the option to find one that will work for the summertime.
In an ideal world, wearing your baby against your body, even during the summer, wouldn’t cause either of you to overheat, but the truth is that sometimes it’s almost unavoidable. If you can at least prepare for such instances with a more breathable carrier, regardless of the style of material you opt to go for, it helps ease the struggle of cooling off when you’re already hot during the summer months.