- Aptamil vs Enfamil Formula : Which Is Better? - November 15, 2022
- Hipp vs Aptamil : Which Baby Formula is Best? - November 9, 2022
- Kendamil vs Hipp: Which Baby Formula Is Safer? - November 8, 2022
Editor’s Note: As of August 2022, 4moms rockaRoo has been recalled for strangulation concerns. We would recommend you consider another swing/rocker option, such as Nuna Leaf Grow or Curv.
Futuristic, tried and tested, approved, and best of the best, are among the terms that have been used to describe these two designs from 4moms baby collections. But how exactly do these two – 4moms mamaRoo and 4moms rockaRoo – compare to each other?
With a myriad of truths, half-truths and outright lies abound online, it can overwhelm even the most avid of persons on how to discern, which of the two is better. That is why I have compiled this in-depth comparison that lays bare the glaring similarities and differences between them.
Unlike most comparisons out there that are subtly crafted to sway, swindle, and leave you lamenting – at times, this comparison is based on personal experience. In compiling the comparison, a number of factors that I considered included affordability, technology, fabric variety, size, variety of motion types, adjustment features among many others.
This comparison will hopefully reduce the frustration of trial and error, the uncertainty of what to expect from each, and instead fly you straight to soothing your baby to sleep. First things first, what are the key differences between the rockaRoo vs mamaRoo?
- 1 Main differences between 4moms mamaRoo vs rockaRoo
- 2 4moms rockaRoo vs mamaRoo – The Baby Swings Compared
- 3 4moms mamaRoo Baby Swing – In Depth
- 4 mamaRoo Reviews
- 5 mamaRoo’s Main Features
- 6 4moms rockaRoo Baby Swing – In Depth
- 7 rockaRoo Reviews
- 8 rockaRoo Main Features
- 9 Are There Any Alternatives?
- 10 Graco DuoGlider, Rascal
- 11 Graco Simple Sway LX Baby Swing
- 12 FAQs
- 13 The Verdict – rockaRoo vs mamaRoo: Which One is Better?
Main differences between 4moms mamaRoo vs rockaRoo
The main differences between the 4moms mamaRoo vs rockaRoo are:
- mamaRoo motion includes bouncing and side to side swings, whereas rockaRoo motion includes back and forth gliding motion.
- mamaRoo features a white noise add on that can come in handy when the baby is napping, whereas the rockaRoo swing has no such feature and its whooshing or whirring sound will constantly sound when on.
- mamaRoo features Bluetooth Enabled control motion and sound, whereas rockaRoo relies on hands control.
- mamaRoo is more costly whereas rockaRoo comes at a lower price.
- mamaRoo features an adjustable recline seat, whereas the rockaRoo solely relies on a gliding back and forth movement.
- mamaRoo features 3 seat fabrics that include blanket-like, polyester feel, and cool mesh, whereas RockaRoo comes only in two fabrics.
4moms rockaRoo vs mamaRoo – The Baby Swings Compared
Other than the occasional necessary wail – the only way they, infants, communicate – to signify the need to feed, diaper change, or surrounding disturbances, infants below age 1 are generally in need of constant human contact with occasional swings, rocks and at times bounces. And this is exactly what baby swings offer.
Known for its sleek, wireless, modern, and ever-innovative products, 4moms has surely left a mark among new and repeat moms worldwide. The mamaRoo and rockaRoo are two of the many diverse ranges of products they have unveiled whose utility cannot be accurately described.
These two seemingly similar, but distinctively different baby swings, have distinct pros and cons that can be a huge selling point or ultimate deal-breaker to a first time or repeat mother. Below is an in-depth assessment of each swing;
4moms mamaRoo Baby Swing – In Depth
Built to simulate the natural parental comforting motions, mamaRoo features a next to the real feeling that soothes the baby to sleep or entertains them as you focus on the day to day necessary chores.
Equipped with five distinct motions and a whopping 5-speed options, 25 possible combinations, mamaRoo will gently rock and lovingly sway your infant to sleep. Here are its main selling points;
Bluetooth enabled for hands-free functionality
To ensure hands-free functionality, it comes with Bluetooth enabled capabilities that will allow you to control the motions, play soothing music, and adjust motions from the comfort of your couch using a smart device.
Machine washable covers available in multiple colors
To save on wash time, and cater to different tastes and preferences, mamaRoo is available in 3 seat fabric options that are machine washable.
The multi and silvery fabric seat is soft, plush, and blanket-like, the classic fabrics are available in either grey or black and are smooth and are made of polyester while the last fabric is – cool mesh seat- dark grey, smooth and breathable to maximize airflow keeping the infant cool and comfy.
Short refreshing nap
Though made to soothe and entertain, mamaRoo is not ideal for overnight sleep. This doesn’t however mean you infant can’t afford the infant a good nap.
On the contrary, its recline-able seat that is neither flat nor firm will comfortably soothe the infant to a flowery peaceful power nap.
To maximize entertainment and ensure psycho-motor stimulation, the adjustable recline seat can allow the infant to lie flat while asleep or sit up to play.
Pair this with the best selection of MP3 soothing music from your smart device, a baby monitor, and the removable overhead hanging toys, and you have a bestie to replace the motherly kangaroo pouch with 4moms mamaRoo swing.
Variety of options
The mamaRoo swing is available in three unique fabric seat options that are in different colors. All the seat fabrics are removable and machine washable. The fabrics include;
- Plush – Is available in either silver plush or multi plush. It is made of velvet fabric that makes it feel soft and comfy to the touch.
- Classic – Made of nylon, the classic variety comes in either black or grey colors.
- Cool Mesh – Sewn to allow for maximum air circulation, this variety is smooth, comfy and has a nest knit fabric.
Touted as high tech, hands-free, guaranteed comfort, and natures’ sooth, this swing does to some extent live up to its hype. With Bluetooth enabled controls, mp3 plugin, Ac adaptor, and 4 sound nature built in, my baby had a pouch that could emulate most of the motions I make. Surrounding noise was greatly filtered to minimize disturbances to my child.
However, the initial excitement and thrill of use weren’t long-lived as my son didn’t seem to like it much. Pair this with sudden unexplained shutdowns and average speakers and you may have second thoughts.
Nonetheless, the giggle and fun my infant had when being entertained by the mobile toys, peacefully napping even in the motor noise makes it worth the few setbacks.
mamaRoo’s Main Features
- The seat fabric is machine washable.
- The seat fabric material can be smooth velvet, nest knit, or smooth nylon.
- Has 4 built-in sounds and MP3 plug-in jack.
- Adjustable recline seat.
- Supports up to 25 lbs (From birth to 6 months-when infant can sit)
- 5 distinct motions and speeds can combine to give 25 different motions.
- Bluetooth Enabled – control motion & sound.
- AC – Adaptor – does not need batteries.
- Weighs 19lbs and has a dimension of 33*19.5*25.5 inches
- Three removable toy balls.
- The swing is stable and durable
- The swing is user friendly- both the motion and entertainment button are within reach and only need to be pressed for activation.
- Wireless functionality – if need be, all motions and volume adjustments can be changed by use of a Bluetooth enabled smart device.
- Machine washable fabric seat with easily removable toys for cleaning purposes.
- Has a 1-year warranty.
- Has four unique soothing nature sounds.
- Can only support children of up to 25 pounds.
- May require a newborn insert (read extra cost) for tiny babies.
- Doesn’t recline to a flat level- reclines to about 20 degrees.
- Straps cannot be unstrapped for cleaning.
- Fairly expensive.
- Terrible speakers
4moms rockaRoo Baby Swing – In Depth
At a 1/3 the size of traditional swings, this compact ‘small size, Big motion’ sleek and modern design swing is built to simulate motherly smooth back and forth gliding motion.
To keep the baby engaged and entertained, removable – allows for substitution with baby’s favorite toys – overhead toys jingle and swing back and forth. Pair this with its 5-speed motions and your baby is in for a maximal horse-like rocking sensation that leaves them smiley, comfy, and thoroughly entertained.
Removable machine-washable seat covers
The removable fabric seats are machine washable and come in woven polyester material, classic seat, and cool mesh. All these fabric materials are also available in varied colors to cater to different natural synch with your interior décor.
It is not a sleeper
Has a smooth front to back gliding motion
Features a compact size that is a sleek and modern design that is only 1/3 the size of traditional swings.
The back and forth motion can be adjusted to increase or decelerate to static rest.
One of 4moms most popular brands is the rockaRoo. And chances are, you might have stumbled on this compact, sensational swing in your search for affordable baby swings. Owing to its popularity, it does attract mixed – just like other related products such as baby carriers – reactions from its users.
At a 1/3 the size of traditional swings, this sleek modern design is compact and saves lots of space leaving the user’s room organized and free of the child’s belongings. Its back and forth gliding motion gently rocks the baby to sleep.
On the flip side though, its gliding motion is only front to back and this can be a big turn-off for parents and children alike who get bored with this monotonous motion. A potential deal-breaker is its motor, which can get irritatingly loud or even stop working altogether. This shouldn’t discourage you entirely though as the utility it offers balances if not outweighs these setbacks.
rockaRoo Main Features
- Front to back gliding motion
- Removable, machine-washable seat
- Toy mobile with reversible, removable toy balls
- 3-point harness
- AC adaptor (no batteries required)
- 1-year warranty
- Mp3 hookup features
- Guaranteed safety for the baby.
- Machine washable fabric covers.
- Compact- is 1/3 size of traditional swings.
- Radiant and removable mobile toys.
- Sleek modern design.
- Runs on AC Adapter.
- Easy to assemble and disassemble for travel.
- Loud and noisy motor
- Non-adjustable reclined seat.
- Usable for not more than 4 hours per day.
- You have to separately buy infant inserts.
Are There Any Alternatives?
There is never a one size fits all for baby swings. So if you are not sure if either is the winner of the rockaRoo vs mamaRoo is the right fit, here are a few other swings that might interest you.
Graco DuoGlider, Rascal
If you’re tight on budget, but after a sleek modern baby swing then try the Graco DuoGlider, Rascal.
With a 3 harness point to ensure the baby’s safety, convenient plug-in or battery use options, slow- sweet classical melodies and nature sounds, six swing speeds, and a nursery-like glide to soothe and give the baby a perfect nap spot, the Graco DuoGlider is a great alternative.
Graco Simple Sway LX Baby Swing
It is a known fact that Graco is one of the most trusted brands in matters of baby gear. Committed to the safety, comfort, quality, and continuous release of innovative products that wow, Graco has lived the test of time. The Graco Simple Sway LX baby swing, Teddy is no disappointment either.
Featuring cozy head support, a multi-direction (left, right or front) viewpoint option, front to back or side to side swing option, plugin or battery option, 5 point harness point for increased safety as the child grows, 5 nature sounds, and 10 melodies to soothe and calm infants, gender-neutral soft gold or neutral grey color options on a sketched teddy or wipe clean option make it one of the best buys.
Answer: Wash the seat covers in cold soapy water with no bleach. The fabrics (classic, plush and cool mesh) can also be machine washed.
Answer: Disassemble the seat and let the whole strap dangle from the central rail and into soapy water. Once clean, thoroughly rinse them and let dry before reassembling as per the disassemble instruction manual.
Answer: No. Many pediatricians recommend that your child should spend less than a couple of hours a day on the baby swing.
The Verdict – rockaRoo vs mamaRoo: Which One is Better?
Though both are designed to afford the mother some freehand time and soothe the baby to sleep or calm a fussy baby, the swings feature numerous similar functionalities.
Both are fascinating baby products. The rockaRoo is compact and is a much welcome option to replace the traditional bulky swings, and I haven’t yet heard of a baby who doesn’t enjoy its entertainment feature. And for the affordable price, I’d highly recommend it.
For infants and mothers after nature-like sounds, varied motions, and not constrained by a budget, mamaRoo is your definite answer. And with its Bluetooth enabled capabilities allowing easy motion, sound, and volume control from smart devices, this modern tech baby gear has got you.